“The EYFS is about how children learn, as well as what they learn. Children need opportunities to develop their own play and independent exploration. This is enjoyable and motivating. They also need adults to ‘scaffold’ their learning by giving them just enough help to achieve something they could not do independently.”
Development Matters 2021
At Our Lady’s, we provide our children in Early Years with a curriculum that is designed to be flexible, engaging and exciting so that their unique needs, passions and interests are embraced.
Every child is an exceptional individual and we celebrate and respect differences within our diverse school community. The ability to learn is underpinned by the teaching of basic skills, knowledge and values that equips our children to be able to solve future challenges of the modern world.
- Work in partnership with our parents and carers to promote independent, confident and enthusiastic learners who thrive in school and make at least good progress from their various starting points.
- Plan for our children’s interests and provide opportunities throughout our EYFS curriculum to support learning, consolidate and deepen knowledge so that the foundations are in place to help children solve the future challenges of the modern world.
- Provide our children with a wide range of rich, first hand experiences to take the curriculum beyond the classroom.
- Foster the development of each child’s character through RUAH, health and wellbeing preparing them to make a valuable contribution to society.
- Provide purposeful, enticing and well planned indoor and outdoor environments which supports learning in all areas of the curriculum
- Prepare children to reach the Early Learning goals at the end of the Foundation Stage and ensure children make at least good progress from their starting points.
“Without confidence and love, there can be no true education.”
St John Bosco